Wordsmith Wednesday (#3)



The objective:
Show us a scene from your current project. It can be creepy, adventurous, romantic, etc. Just a snippet to let readers see what they're in for!
The guidelines:
* Must be from a current work-in-progress (WIP). Nothing already published.
* You may choose from any section of the manuscript, but be mindful not to include spoilers.
 * Keep it clean and YA audience friendly, please. No erotica.
* Stay under 300 words or about one page. It can be as little as a few lines if you prefer. We just want to give readers a chance to see everyone's selection.
* Link back to Chirenjenzie to enjoy others' work as well!

Here's a snippet from something I just started toying with, which is untitled at the moment. It's my take on Beauty & the Beast. Hope you enjoy it! :)

The bleachers filled quickly with classmates dressed in varying degrees of purple. Two guys had on full body spandex suits, and their buddies that surrounded them were in Halloween costumes.
I thought we were at a basketball game. Apparently this was something of a different breed.
“Does everyone dress like that for games?” I wondered aloud to Lucy, who stood beside me, giving directions to another friend on where we were in the stands.
She waved animatedly. “No, you dork, right here!” She jabbed her hand in the air and swung it around like she was directing an airplane. “Right! HERE!”
I followed her eyes to the other side of the gym, where I saw a girl wave in acknowledgement and put her phone back in her pocket.
That’s when I saw him.
Of course he was here. He was like the opposite of those MasterCard commercials; he was everywhere I didn’t want him to be.
That didn’t mean I minded looking at him, though.
His wild, tawny hair was gelled into points all over his head and made him look like a human hedgehog. The silver ring in his bottom lip glinted when it hit the light just right, and he toyed with it as he focused through the lens of the camera he held in his hands.
“Seriously, don’t waste your time,” Lucy said through an audible sigh as she gave me a jab with her elbow. “Channing is so not worth any amount of effort you’d put into it.”
“That’s his name?” I asked, not looking away from the boy I now knew as Channing.
My phone dinged and vibrated in my pocket. I pulled my gaze away long enough to check the text message.
Earth to Sam, he’s not worth your time.
I looked up to see Lucy grinning from ear to ear. “Really? You text me when we’re standing next to each other?”
“It seemed like the only way to get your attention.”

There you have it, folks! What do you think? If you're a writer, take part in the meme, or add a little of your latest WIP to the comments.
Hope everyone is having a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment